Participants in UVA Advance attend workshops on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-5:30 pm that are designed to help students prepare for the challenges and opportunities facing undergraduate students. Topics include (subject to change):
- The College Admission Process: Undergraduate admission representatives from the UVA and other institutions in the area discuss how the admission process works, what students should expect and what makes an effective application.
- Education Abroad: UVA’s knowledgeable Study Abroad Advisors introduce students to the world of possibilities that exists for foreign study. As a follow-up, UVA Advance participants may complete the University’s online Education Abroad Workshop.
- Skills for Academic Success: UVA academic advisors/counselors and students discuss healthy study habits, differences between high school and college learning, academic writing and other key skills.
- Libraries: Librarians from one of UVA’s seventeen libraries share the role of the 21st century academic library and provide tips for getting the most from library resources.
- CORE (Cultural Orientation, Reflection and Engagement: CORE instructors from the UVA International Studies Office encourage reflection on cross-cultural learning during UVA Advance.